Market Mentors Is Celebrating Its 15 Year Anniversary!
Experience is the best teacher. Consequently, since beginning Market Mentors 15 years ago, we’ve learned plenty of lessons—some the easy way and some the hard way. These lessons became our guiding principles. In honor of our anniversary, here are 15 lessons we live by.
15 Lessons We Live By
15. We all need to row the boat in the same direction. It’s the only way to move forward. We even keep a mini Viking boat in our conference room to remind us!
14. Eat the frog. This gem is from Mark Twain who said, “If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first.” Don’t be surprised to find gummy frogs in our candy dishes when you visit!
13. Take notes. Refer to them. You think you’ll remember, but you probably won’t.
12. Pick up the phone. It’s all too easy to send an email, instant message or text, but a quick phone call is often faster and usually more efficient.
11. Follow the 80/20 rule. Reprioritize when necessary.
10. “Don’t put off ‘til tomorrow what you can do today,” an important reminder from Thomas Jefferson.
9. Proper planning prevents poor performance. We have this one framed in our office.
8. Make fact-based decisions and use common sense. If something doesn’t make sense, ask questions.
7. Take initiative. Don’t wait to be asked to do something that you know needs doing.
6. Plan to follow up. Don’t send a message and assume the task is off your plate.
5. Button up. Pay attention to details to ensure a smooth execution. It’s OK to make mistakes, but don’t repeat them.
4. Set expectations, because it’s better to under promise then over deliver.
3. Make the next person’s job easier. You’ll be amazed how much this improves efficiency and goodwill.
2. Be direct. Honest, constructive communication with each other and our clients lets us get things done and avoid miscommunication.
1. Our clients are everything to us. Always do your part to exceed their expectations.
Thank you to the many people who have helped Market Mentors grow and evolve over the past 15 years. This includes the clients we’ve had since the beginning, as well as those with whom we’ve recently partnered; employees and interns past and present; media partners and vendors; mentors, friends and our families.
Every year is as exciting as the last, and we are looking forward to our next chapter. Stay tuned as we make our move to our new corporate offices in Springfield.
Contact us today to find out we can apply our lessons learned to benefit your business.